The Manor House at Palmerstown House Estate was built in 1872 by the Earl of Mayo and had many owners after him. Most notable Ms. Anne Bullit the only child of millionaire Philadelphian diplomat William Christian Bullitt and his wife Louise Bryant.
In 1956 Anne Bullit’s father William Bullit purchased the 900 acre Palmerstown stud from W.J. Kelly for her. By virtue of Sindon’s success in the 1958 Irish Derby and a further 13 races with eight other horses, she soon headed the owners list in Ireland and over the next four years her “navy blue, white hoop on body and cap” achieved remarkable success through the Palmerstown thoroughbreds, notably the offspring of resident stallion Milesian. In fact, in the period 1958-1964 the stud had no less than 110 winners in competitive races.
In 1964 Anne split with her long-time trainer Tommy Shaw to go into business on her own and two years later, on 31st August 1966, Irish racing history was made when – now a licensed trainer in her own right – she became the first woman ever to saddle a winner in an official capacity. The Irish Racing Calendar marked this historic breakthrough in the official returns “Winner trained and bred by Mrs A.B. Biddle”. She continued to live in Palmerstown, training and breeding horses for almost thirty more years, finally relinquishing her trainer’s licence in 1994. The Estate is now owned by the Comer brothers Luke & Brian Comer and looks forward to yet another positive chapter in its long winding history.